Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I am turning veggie!

Though i have not been totally sucessful, I am doing much better than expected. I managed to successfully cut down to NV once a day and yesterday was totally a veggie day.

Dont ask me why but I have decided to turn veggie coz even i am not too sure. Possible reasons:
(1) Some divine intervention which informed me "Dude, u r a Brahmin, u r not suposd to do eat meat!"
(2) I am fida over some veggie female, accordin to a few frnds of mine, and I am turning veggie to impress her
(3) I felt a sudden sympathy for dead animals and wanted to put in my contribution for their well being

As we analyze these three options, it seems to be a tough ask between 1 and 2.
1 fails because divine intervention has never happened in my case and I dont expect any in my future either. In other words, I dont believe much in such stuff.
2 fails because as far as i can determine, I am not fida over any particular veggie female as far as i know myself, i am not gonna turn into a veggie just to impress some female.

So that leaves us with the least likely option 3, which actually turns out to be the actual reason after some careful analysis. We dont cook/eat meat at home, so I dont know the intricacies involved in skinning/dressin/cooking a chicken.
I have an Infy rommate, who has a knack for coming home at odd late hours and expectes me to get a parcelled dinner for him. As i wait for the parcels, I had little option but to stare at whole skinned chickens turning gracefully over a light fire. I am sure you can recollect rows of chicken usually found hanging on rods which turn slowly over a fire. Dunno why, these registered some kind of impact on my mind as i thought back about the alive and kicking chicken they once were, and I m not joking here. Since then, i have had mental blocks in eating meat. The times I actually had meat last week were mostly when I was drunk.

While on the subject, there is a concept of "Halal" meat in the Islamic community which supposedly refers to a process of painless killing of the animals, and muslims are supposed to eat only that kinda meat because of some vague concept I dont recollect. Something like meat of animals which die painfully is against Gods will or something. With due respect to all muslims, i dont get the point! Whether you kill it painlessly or not, you are still killing it, which should be against Islamic law (except when the killing is for Jehad :-)) So whats the point?

Anyways, now I consciously stuck to veg stuff as much as possible, and i intend to tht the next time i get drunk as well!

4 scribbles:

Anonymous Sajesh Cherian says...

try again!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sridhar Raman says...

In fact, most non-vegetarians seem to get turned on by the "chicken rotating on the rod" and cant resist it - quite contrary to your reaction.

Anyway, welcome to the veggie club and hope you do it all the way! :)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

DD that was an old news . now that u have take non-veg again and that too big time i think u shud blog ur story of turning non veggie again.

vishwas

12:19 PM  
Blogger ചെലക്കാണ്ട് പോടാ says...

still veggie or a dropout from the veggie club?

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home